Thursday, September 11, 2008

How you can benefit from Adoption Resource Network’s Annual Adoption Conference

By Lisa Maynard, ARN at HCC Executive Director


When I began exploring adoption as a way to build my family, I thought it would be easy.
All I needed to do was figure out who could help, figure out how to apply, and then sit back and start being a Mom.

I had an idea that we would be asked through the homestudy process to explain why we wanted to adopt, describe ourselves, and prove we could handle the responsibility. Starting on that journey was much more challenging than I could have imagined – there was no Internet, no one source of information, no “one stop shop” for adoption. Additionally, I was quite unaware of the enormous impact adoption would have on my life.

When my adoption journey began more than 18 years ago, my friend Cindy and I, under the guidance of our adoption social worker from Love The Children, embarked on a project to host an adoption conference for the Greater Rochester (NY) community.

We had big plans for our conference, including a keynote from a nationally renowned speaker, bringing together advocates from the adoption community, as well as bringing together all three sides of the adoption triad–birth parents, adoptive parents, and adults who were adopted. It was exciting as we eagerly anticipated a successful conference.

Our goal for the first conference was to draw between 100 and 150 attendees. We called on national organizations that had experience hosting conferences, and were cautioned to lower our goal because 50 or so was considered a “great” turnout. Undaunted, we were determined to meet our original attendance goal.


We designed and distributed flyers and announcements. We called on friends and colleagues to spread the word. And, we were completely astounded by the response. One week out from that first conference, we had 450 people registered and more calling each day! It was clear we had identified a “gap in service” and we weren’t even looking!


Prior to hosting that first conference, I had only been to one other conference on adoption. Until that conference, I wasn’t completely aware of the opportunities afforded through such a venue. I found I enjoyed the workshops and learned a great deal from them. I found resources I didn’t see elsewhere, and made new friends. It was exhilarating to see those same opportunities at our conference.

I have since attended state, national, and international conferences on adoption. Each time I learn something new, come home with new ideas, new resources, and renewed hope for the future of adoption and foster care in the United States and abroad. Additionally, I find new challenges and renewed commitment to children and families touched by adoption.

Much like those conferences, Adoption Resource Network’s annual conference offers many resources. If you come, you will learn about the unique issues of adoption and foster care. You can collect helpful tips for parenting adopted children. You will have the opportunity to meet people–agency representatives, attorneys, social workers–who can assist you with the adoption process. You will find information and resources to help you conduct a search for biological family, and network with others in adoptive and foster care relationships.

You are sure to be challenged, to grow in your approach to adoption, to find new perspectives, to learn new approaches to parenting, in your search for self and family at Adoption Resource Network’s annual conference.

See how the changing world of adoption can change your life! Register
online today.

No comments: